June 19, 2011

Passion - for sure!

The one trend I see in YA publishing right now is series novels. Writers love writing them, publishers love publishing them, and teens love reading them. I too have found that I love series novels. I L-O-V-E them! 

Part of what is hot right now is paranormal romance, and Lauren Kate is a hot ticket writer for this genre. As a matter of fact, the only reason I read her novel was because I loved Becca Fitzpatrick's Hush, Hush so much (it was my introduction into paranormal romance). When I read Kate's Fallen, I wasn't too sure what I was going to get myself into, but what I found was an addiction to the story of Luce and Daniel and what brought these two "star-crossed lovers" together and what tears them apart (her death).

Kate's latest installment in this romance is Passion. In the third installment of this tale we find Luce going into the past to learn what makes her fall in love with Daniel and what makes her die. It is a clever undertaking as readers find themselves reading important parts of history. Kate even takes us to the day when the Angels fell from Heaven. The different settings in the past help pace the novel nicely with a strong plot development. As with her other novels, this too is a page turner. I mostly wanted to see where Luce would find herself after stepping out of her Announcer (her means of traveling through time) and how quickly Daniel could get to her, if he ever could.

Throughout the novel what we get is a growing of Luce's character - she is trying to understand who she is, who Daniel is, who they are together. With a predictable twist, which I still enjoyed, and a cliff-hanger ending, Kate has nicely set up her fourth and final installment in this love story: Rapture, coming in spring 2012. I think the title will speak for itself of what we should expect.

While I originally found the title a little misleading (I was expecting a bit more passion) with the story's conclusion it is clear to see that this title is fitting. What readers will realize throughout the pages of this book is that the love between Luce and Daniel is a "passionate" one, one that is deep within the soul, one that will be somewhat explained in this novel. For those who are wondering what revelations happen, you might be surprised. Kate gives us just enough to satisfy us until the next book, but there are still unanswered questions, questions I was hoping to get an answer to through Luce's travels. For those who have enjoyed her previous two novels, you will enjoy this one as well. If you have yet to read Fallen or Torment, you might want to before diving into this one, but it is worth it! You can read my review on her two previous novels.

Here is a great trailer that I found on YouTube for Passion - enjoy!



 video from RandomHouseAustralia

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you