November 6, 2012

Review: 'Time Between Us'



Title and author: Time Between Us by Tamara Ireland Stone
Pages: 384
ISBN: 9781423159568    
Publisher: Disney-Hyperion
Source: NetGalley

Summary (from Goodreads):

Anna and Bennett were never supposed to meet: she lives in 1995 Chicago and he lives in 2012 San Francisco. But Bennett has the unique ability to travel through time and space, which brings him into Anna’s life, and with him a new world of adventure and possibility.

As their relationship deepens, the two face the reality that time may knock Bennett back to where he belongs, even as a devastating crisis throws everything they believe into question. Against a ticking clock, Anna and Bennett are forced to ask themselves how far they can push the bounds of fate, what consequences they can bear in order to stay together, and whether their love can stand the test of time.

Fresh, exciting, and deeply romantic, Time Between Us is a stunning, spellbinding debut from an extraordinary new voice in YA fiction.

My Thoughts:

First let me say that this is one of my favorite reads of 2012 – seriously. I could not put this book down.

What drove this book were the character development as well as plot. Stone is spot on in the way she brings readers into the fold of her plot, enveloping us with intrigue and suspense. Who is Bennett? What does he want from Anna? And how will the author end this novel?!

The characters of Anna and Bennett are developed nicely, with a pace that will keep readers satisfied. There was not a moment in the novel where I thought, “Can we just get there already?!” Stone took care to make sure to give readers a taste of what they needed while still keeping them in the dark, craving more pages, and more interaction between Anna and Bennett. At least, this was true for me. Anna and Bennett are truly what drove the story for me. Their on-page chemistry had me melting into the pages, feeling as if I was standing with them, experiencing the moments - and revelations - with them.

The plot itself was carefully constructed and revealed – not giving too much at any one time, but still allowing me to “guess” where she would take me next. I loved the idea that the plot itself felt plausible. Really truly plausible. I have read several novels with time travel that I love, but this was the first for me that had me thinking that Stone might be on to something, and had me questioning whether or not she had a Bennett of her own.

As a whole, this is a solid YA debut. This novel will appeal to those who love a good love story that is not overly mushy. Mushy can be good, but it would not have served justice in this particular novel.

I recommend Time Between Us to all readers of YA – and with Christmas coming up and a need for presents, this should definitely find its way under a Christmas tree.

Still not sure? Here's the author pitching her book to you as well:


If you could time travel to attend a rock concert, in what year and what concert would you find yourself? Comment below.

Happy Reading! 




No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you