August 7, 2011

In My Mailbox (8)

In My Mailbox is a weekly meme sponsored by The Story Siren.  It is a way for bloggers to network and share what books they are reviewing, borrowing, and/or buying.

This is my final IMM post before the school year starts for me (sigh). I am excited about my finds this week; of course, I'm always excited about my finds, but you get what I'm saying. Book lovers unite!

From the Library
Beauty Queens audio by Libba Bray 
During the school year I prefer to listen to audio books on my way to school instead of listening to the radio. I find it calms me. I usually pick a YA novel, but every now and again I'll pick up a mystery. This week, I found Beauty Queens. I read this novel the week it came out, but I noticed that Bray is the reader...so I HAD to give it a try. I like to do this sometimes, listen to the audio after I've read the book. Sometimes it changes the experience with the book for me - Neil Gaiman's The Graveyard Book is an example.

From B&N
Falling for Hamlet by Michelle Ray 
I have taught eleventh graders for eleven years. I am always looking for contemporary novels that bring to life what I teach to my students. Anything dealing with Hamlet is an example. While I no longer teach the play because now I teach AP, I still love reading modern re-tellings. I had my eye on this novel for a while now, so I thought I would go ahead and go for it.



From NetGalley 
Eve by Anna Carey - This looks like an intriguing dystopian novel. I'm curious to read the author's vision of things in the year 2032. 

Liesl and Po by Lauren Oliver - I am a huge fan of Oliver's, so I am excited to read this.  

Cinder and Ella by Melissa Lemon - Fractured fairy tale? Yes, please  

Alice-Miranda on Vacation by Jacqueline Harvey - The first novel was cute, so I am interested in seeing where Harvey takes the character next  

The Lacey Chronicles #2: The Queen's Lady by Eve Edwards - Absolutely loved the first novel! I cannot wait to read what becomes of Lady Jane




That's what I've added this week. What have you added? Have you read any of the above books? Do you have suggestions? I would love to hear them.




20 comments:

  1. Very nice group of books. Come visit me over at Livre De Amour-Books of Love Blog.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I read Cinder and Ella on NetGalley. It didn't really grab me. I heard such great things about it and the cover is just enchanting, but the book itself wasn't really what I was expecting.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Cinder Ella and Eve are on my list. Happy reading.

    ReplyDelete
  4. You have some good books this week! I haven't read any of Libba Bray's books, so I'm interested to hear what you think of Beauty Queens.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Great books this week! Libba Bray is the reader of Beauty Queens?! That's so cool! I have the book on my bookshelf from the library right now :)

    I still have to read some of those ARC's from NetGalley! I have most of those on my Kindle! I'll have to go get Liesel and Po though, since I don't have that yet!

    Thanks for commenting on my IMM!

    ReplyDelete
  6. great books! i'd love to read liesl & po, tell me how it goes :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Zakiya LadyWingsAugust 07, 2011

    Hope you enjoy your books! My IMM is here! Happy Reading,

    ~Zakiya LadyWings :D

    ReplyDelete
  8. Great mailbox. I really enjoyed "Eve".

    ReplyDelete
  9. Great books! =) I can't wait to read Eve!!

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  10. I'm dying to read Eve! You're so lucky. :)

    My IMM is over here if you want to check it out. :)

    Angel

    ReplyDelete
  11. I still need to get around to reading 'Beauty Queens'... it looks absurd, but hilarious.

    My IMM

    ReplyDelete
  12. I have nominated you for the Liebster blog awards! Check it out at my blog: http://theatticreviews.blogspot.com/

    Juliet

    ReplyDelete
  13. What an interesting selection of books, I haven't come across any of these before but will be on the look out for them now!
    Ps. I Love your smart girls read button!

    ReplyDelete
  14. Thanks guys! I'm glad to learn that many of you enjoyed Eve. It makes me excited to read it.

    I was quite surprised to see that Bray reads Beauty Queens. I've already read the novel, but I've got to here her take on it.

    Happy reading all!

    C

    ReplyDelete
  15. New follower :)

    I've also got the "The Queen's Lady" in this week's IMM :) Looking forward to hearing your thoughts on "Beauty Queens" and "Liesel & Po".

    ReplyDelete
  16. Cập nhật KQXSMB| hôm nay nhanh nhất
    Mời các bạn đón xem xo so mien nam | hàng tuần cập nhật liên tục

    ReplyDelete
  17. oh, Great!!!Your article is very good.
    Read more: Trang chuyên kết quả xsmb siêu nhanh, siêu chuẩn 100%. Để có thông tin mới nhất trong ngày mời bạn truy cập tại thoi trang cập nhật liên tục 24/24h

    ReplyDelete
  18. Xổ số wap - trung tâm kết quả xo so bac lieu hàng đầu Việt Nam , tại website của chúng tôi các bạn không chỉ xem được kết quả xsag trực tiếp mà các bạn còn có thể xem được chi tiết kết quả xổ số từng tỉnh thành trên cả nước như: , xổ số bình dương , xổ số khánh hòa xstg xổ số tây ninh, xổ số đà nẵng, ......

    ReplyDelete

I would love to hear from you