July 2, 2011

TGIF, hosted by GReads (2)

GRead's question for this week's first TGIF: Mr. & Mrs.: Who are your favorite book couples?
 
Wow! The gauntlet has really been thrown down for this week's question. I read so many novels, especially series, that I don't like picking. I love them all. But since this is this week's question, I've decided to share five of my favorite book couples.
 
The choices below reflect a variety of books that I have read and loved. These are couples that were fun, fascinating, and all-around made my heart go thump, thump, thump.
 
My #1 choice is simple: Emma Woodhouse and George Knightley (Jane Austen's Emma)
Emma & Knightley FOREVER!
I know everyone is about Elizabeth and Darcy, but I never bought them the same way I bought Emma and Knightley. For me, these two characters embrace all that it means to be a truly happy, in-love couple. Knightley has known Emma since she was born, the two have always been a part of each other's lives in some fashion. The love I feel coming from Knightley as he chastises, guides, and celebrates Emma's character is one from the heart. He says these things because he loves her, unconditionally, and he wants her to be the best woman she can be, not what society dictates. For me, it is Emma & Knightley FOREVER! 
 
My #2: Bridget Jones and Mark Darcy (Helen Fielding's Bridget Jones' Diary & The Edge of Reason)
My favorite fun, chick lit couple. I love that they represent a modern Elizabeth and Darcy, both fighting against the obvious - they are made for each other. This was my first introduction into chick lit, and I continue to enjoy them as a book couple. Their banter is so clever and fun, I could not resist adding them to my list of book couples. Besides, I figured many would forget about our heroine Everywoman searching for love in the world, and finding it unconditionally in the guise of a modern Mr. Darcy. 
 
My #3: Hermione Granger and Ron Weasley (sorry Nichole) (JK Rowling's Harry Potter series)
From the first book it was obvious Rowling had a plan for these two, one that did not include Harry. These two spend so many books arguing with one another that by the time the Yule Ball comes around, Rowling solidifies what readers suspect: these two have a thing for each other but neither will admit it. Their relationship is one of the many reasons the series holds a special place in my heart and on my bookshelf. Okay, I admit it - I'm a HP nut! BUT, I never bought Harry and Ginny as a couple, so I'm glad Rowling gave me one that I could believe in.
 
My #4: Mia Thermopolis and Michael Moscovitz (Meg Cabot's The Princess Diaries)
There are so many books in this series that it seems almost impossible not to invest in this couple. I mean, Mia is trying to be the best princess she can, but it seems she can never satisfy everyone. Then there's Michael, her best friend's brother, who admires and watches from the sidelines in several of the books. When these two finally get together it is like fireworks, and Mia's character has a transformation for the better. Michael makes Mia a better person as well as a better princess. 
 
My #5: Gemma Doyle and Kartik (Libba Bray's Gemma Doyle trilogy)
Talk about a hot book couple. These two are it! Forbidden love? Another realm? Secrets? Deceit? Destiny? All of these are reasons I love these two. I read this series via audio, and I could not wait for these two to get together, kiss, whatever. Either way, I wanted Gemma and Kartik together. I will not reveal whether or not Bray makes that happen in the series, but I will say that these two are almost a compilation of the book couples I've listed above. 
 
What do you think of my list? Who would you add/remove? 

No comments:

Post a Comment

I would love to hear from you